Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Groningan to Amsterdam. "lets make party"



The day after we met Fabian he brought up an amazing plan. It was Saturday and we should find a good city and “make party”. We never just said “it’s Saturday let’s go get tanked” on this trip, but it sounded pretty good. We rode around with Fabian leading. It was completely different than the way we did it. We used a Gps and almost always know where we are going. Fabian just goes up to random people and ask them how to get to places and uses a map so they can show him how. It seemed kind of backwards, but it worked. Once again my shoe wouldn’t unclip and I fell making my glasses fall off and lost, forever. We eventually got to a campsite near a city called Groningen. We asked our camp neighbors and found out that Groningen is a college city, a college city that likes to party. We took our showers and got ready and then our neighbors gave us a nice little ride to the train station and hopped on the train. The Amount of bikes at the station was jaw dropping. They had to build underground parking that stacks bikes on top of each other 100 yards far and about 50 yards across and there isn’t a single space open.



We walk across a bridge and enter the main part of the city. We were told there would be parties all over the place once we hit the city square. We walk down an ally and hear loud music. It turned out to be some middle aged women dancing to shitty music. I wasn’t impressed. We keep on walking and turn this corner to see a huge city square and the right half of it is full of people in outdoor eating areas. 500 people easy. The rest of the Square was full of college kids walking around. On the weekend back home I normally go to the bars with my friend Beau near Udub. This was like that times 5. The only things here were bars and fast food. I heard loud music again and tried to find it, but couldn’t. Then Chris noticed it was up above us. We went into a building and went up 5 stories of stairs and got to the roof where there is an open top club. We start drinking and then a guy walks up and starts talking to us in broken English. We are pretty good with broken English and talked to the kid about what he does and what we are doing in Europe. He buys use a round and we tell him we heard about this awesome bar and were thinking about going. He not only told us how to get there said he would come with us. This guy was a character. Bro all the way with the drunken swagger to go with it. He walked over to his girl said some things and told us that it’s good. We tried to go into one bar and they wouldn’t let Chris in because of his shoes. He got upset about it. He turned to a group of guys and asked them what they thought about his shoes and they said “you must be gay or you don’t want to get any ladies”. He wasn’t happy with that.  Our new friend bar hopped with us for a while telling us that they are the rednecks of Holland and that no one in Holland dances but everyone in America knows how to dance, then we ran into his girlfriend. She tore into him HARD in the middle of a busy road full of college kids. She was yelling at him so we asked her friend what was up. He told her he would be 10-20 minutes and was gone for 2 hours. We said our goodbyes to him and found a new club. This was a place I wish I could find back home. Loud dubstep live dj club. It’s like a rave, but without the raver kids. No candy kids running around with tutus and mad hatter hats. We partied there until the sun came up and took a taxi back to our camp.




A few days later and a few stops at some Koffee shops later we got to Amsterdam. We got into a hostel that allows you to smoke in the lobby/hang out area just no cigarettes allowed. Pretty funny shit when someone lights up a joint next to you, but Fabian had to go outside to smoke his cig.  Amsterdam is an odd place. There are high people everywhere just randomly walking around with the families of tourist. Maybe spending most of our time in the country side has made me dislike big cities because I wasn’t digging it. We went out and got some drinks our first night there. Fabian bought mushrooms and we went to this one bar. It looked good from outside and we walked to the front to get in and then I noticed the security guard. Big and black and not the person I wanted to see when I had my knife in my pocket. I turned to Chris and told him I will be back, I need to ditch my knife and the security guard called me back. “Oh shit. He’s going to check me and tell me I can’t get in for the rest of the night. I know it.” I walk up, he pats me down feels my knife and lets me in no problem. Problem is the club is empty. I was told it wouldn’t start filling up till 12:30-1:30. We left there and just did what everyone else does in Amsterdam. Randomly stumble onto the Red Light District. I know what you’re thinking “Right you four guys randomly stumbled onto hooker ally,” but we did. And we did walk through it twice though, I’ll admit that.  We weren’t the only ones though. Full groups of people filled both sides on the street. Bros to middle aged men with their kids walking by model hot women in bikinis (around prime time. Later in the night comes the B group of girls and it’s not good.) behind glass trying to get you to spend your money on them. None of us did. I did kill a few brain cells there though. My lungs need a break for sure. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the read. Up next is England (London) and maybe a post on what the first month of traveling has taught me. 


No comments: